Minibus Permits

ALL Scout Groups, Districts and Counties who operate (own, borrow or hire), a minibus require a Standard Bus Permit so that voluntary groups can charge or accept a form of remuneration for providing transport for their own members, without having to comply with the full PSV operator licensing or PCV driver licensing requirements.

To purchase a Standard Bus Permit, download and return the application form and it will be turned around in approximately 5 working days at a cost of £5.00. If you have any queries or need advice, please call the Scout Information on 0345 300 1818 or 0208 433 7100.

Minibus permits are valid for five years and have the expiry date written on the permit. It is the responsibility of the individual Group/District and County to renew these minibus permits.

Permits issued under the previous scheme (with. no expiry date) will cease to be valid after 6th April 2014.

Each Scout Group/District/County/Region will need to apply for their own permit and they are not transferrable. The permit must be displayed in whichever vehicle you are driving at the time. Please note that if you do not display the minibus permit in the windscreen, as this is an Operator’s License this may lead to prosecution if not displayed.

You will need to purchase one Standard Bus Permit per vehicle. So if you hire 3 minibuses you need to apply for 3 permits. These permits can then be transferrable to other minibus to another if you are hiring them.

The qualification that you need to drive a minibus is a full driving licence with a D1 entitlement or without D1, have held their licence for over 2 years but cannot tow a trailer. Further information is available online. To drive the District’s minibus there is a requirement that members undertake MiDAS training.

MiDAS is the Minibus Driver Awareness Scheme, organised by the Community Transport Association U.K. (CTA) which promotes a nationally recognised standard for the assessment and training of minibus drivers. It is a membership based scheme that has been designed to enhance minibus driving standards and promote the safer operation of minibuses.
Some Districts and Counties ask their Leaders to do the course before driving a minibus.  More info can be found at 

For additional advice, the Community Transport Association (CTA) have factsheets on all aspects of minibuses. Should you require advice relating to driver training or minibus safety, further information may also be obtained on the CTA Advice Line 0845 130 6195 or

Please note that from 10 February 1997 ALL minibuses irrespective of age, when carrying 3 or more children have to be fitted with seatbelts in FORWARD FACING SEATS. The MINIMUM requirement is to have a lap belt fitted to each seat used by a child aged over 3.

Useful links


Funding to gain a D1 on your licence – Please visit our grants pages to find out more about the King George VI Leadership Fund which may support D1 and MiDAS training for volunteers.