- This event has passed.
Young Leader Training – Module A
January 27 @ 9:30 am - 12:00 pm
Prepare for take-off!
We will be running Module A of the Young Leaders Scheme at 3rd Frodsham Scout Hut on Saturday 29th April from 09:30 – 12:00.
You are being invited as according to our records, you are an Explorer Scout Young Leader and are yet to complete this mandatory part of the Young Leader Training Scheme. If you have in fact already completed Module A, please let us know.
As well as a great opportunity to learn about your role, this training session is also an opportunity to meet other Young Leaders from across Mersey Weaver, network with them, share ideas for activities and of course make some new friends! A Young Leaders’ Badge will be awarded after Module A training has been completed. This badge signifies that a Young Leader has completed their basic training.
What is covered in Module A?
There is some key information every leader working with young people needs to know from an early stage in their training. This module aims to give you the essential information you’ll need to perform your ESYL role safely. It will provide you with the immediate skills needed to assist another section, and to understand your role. You’ll also discover how the Scheme works, and find out how to access further training opportunities.
By the end of this module, you’ll be able to:
- explain your role as an ESYL for the section you’re supporting
- explain how local Scouting is organised
- summarise the purpose and methods of Scouting
- explain how the Safeguarding and Safety Policies apply to you
- explain the importance of Policy, Organisation and Rules (POR) and access the information within it
- show that you understand how POR affects your actions
- explain why it’s important to run activities safely and why it’s necessary to carry out risk assessments
- explain the awards that you’ll be able to work towards as an ESYL. These include Duke of Edinburgh’s Awards and Scouts top awards as well as your young leader award.
- understand how the Scheme works and how to access further training
N.B. If you are using your young leader experience as part of the volunteering section for your Duke of Edinburgh, Chief Scout or King Scout Awards you must complete Module A before this section can be signed off.
What to bring/wear
Feel free to wear something comfortable. There is no need to wear your uniform but please remember to bring your necker. Light refreshments will be provided (drinks and biscuits) 😊
Young Leaders are invited directly in Online Scout Manager.