- This event has passed.
Catalyst Live 2 – Scouts
March 15 @ 7:00 pm - 8:00 pm
We are super excited to be collaborating with The Catalyst Museum in Widnes to bring Cubs and Scouts from Mersey Weaver an interactive Zoom Session that they can take part in from home.
This one hour, online workshop is a mixture of science centre lab demonstrations and live activities. The Cubs and Scouts will complete three experiments activities from home themed around survival skills using science. They will learn about refining their ideas to increase success and share their findings with others on the call. Working with staff from Catalyst Science Discovery Centre, the young people will have tremendous fun and develop their scientific understanding to earn the scientist badge!
Each session can only accommodate a maximum of 35 young people so please book early.
- Drinking water – Sourcing and producing drinkable water e.g. filtering, distilling and testing.
- Fire science – Changing the colours of campfire flames and extinguishing a tealight using carbon dioxide and producing carbon dioxide through a simple chemical reaction.
- Building a Raft – Raft engineering using limited supplies and considering what makes a successful raft e.g. floating, catching the wind to move etc.
What you will need
For the hands on activities young people will need the following household items.
- A small bottle, approx 300ml, cut in half horizontally across the middle – be careful when preparing this resource
- A few tablespoons of sand
- A jug of salty water
- Cotton wool
- Some small stones
- A square of plastic carrier bag, roughly 15cm x 15cm
- 60cm of string, twine or thread
- 5 lolly sticks or pencils
- Tea light and matches to light it
- Bicarbonate of soda
- A parent must be present to supervise the activities. We suggest doing these experiments in the kitchen
- Care must be taken when using electrical equipment e.g. Computers/Tablets/Phones near any liquids
To protect the integrity of the meeting, joining details will be sent of the day of the event a few hours before it is scheduled to start